Playing Texas Holdem Online – Strategy Tips
Playing Texas Holdem online is a lot of fun, but the Holdem strategy can be different than when you are playing face-to-face around a poker table. The following are some of the many tips to assist you at winning more hands and ultimately more money while developing your unique Holdem strategy:
• Take the necessary time to practice and learn the skills necessary to be a successful player while playing with play money.
• Learn and develop your skill of patience. Top players fold a lot more often than they stay in until the showdown. A poor hand will most likely only get worse and more costly as it develops. Folding poor starting hands will help to conserve your chip stack and leave you with more ammunition when you have the winning hand.
• Have a keen sense of your table position at all times and play it appropriately. A player in late position has the advantage of being able to see how the majority of the other players at the table are playing their hands before they are forced to act themselves. A player in early position must act in the blind and should be much more careful which hands they decide to play. A small pocket pair may appear to be a good hand to play while in early position but those in late position may have the ability to fold them in the face of heavy betting from early position players.
• Keep a chart of the pot odds handy so you can refer to it throughout the game. Having knowledge of the odds of you completing your hand can save you a lot of money in the long run. That’s a big part of your online Holdem strategy.
• Bluffing is an important part of your game but if you are beginner, don’t try to hone your skills of bluffing in big stakes games or tournaments. This is what practicing with play money is for. If you are in a tournament or game with players you have not profiled, and you try to bluff with a poor hand, you may get burned bad.
• Take the time to understand your opponents and how they play. Keep notes on all of the opponents you face and develop their player profiles so you can use these notes in the future when facing them again and again. Learn their tells, keep track of how loose or tight they play. Utilize this knowledge of your opponents to prey upon their weaknesses. Watch how every player plays each and very hand and you will soon start to see patterns in their betting. By determining who the loose and weak players are you can focus your energy and time on defeating them first and use their stacks to help defend the better players.
• And here’s a sneaky trick I learned from another pro online player. Make up a screen name that makes you appear as a woman even if you are not. Strangely enough, many male players won’t play as aggressively against someone they think is a female player. It’s a male flaw – take advantage of it.
Building a good online poker strategy can be time consuming and won’t happen overnight. You will need to see a lot of hands to fully master the game. So play when you can and add these tips to your online texas holdem strategy.